I’m married with two kids and live in Louisville, Kentucky. I enjoy to read and acquire books. I used to like coffee, but now I drink one 6oz. cup every morning at about 6:45am and that’s it, so to put it as an interest would probably give the wrong impression. This website is officially a personal site, but for all practical purposes it functions as a web design and development portfolio site.
I am a designer and developer and work primarily on design systems — specifically where the design system meets the engineering side — and have spent a lot of time on design system code management and documentation as well as general methodologies for design system delivery and success within an organization.
For a long time now I’ve distinguished myself by doing the hard work that works. I communicate clearly and efficiently, work well with others, and feel just as much at home with the development team as with the CEO.
I freelance full-time and enjoy it a lot — feel free to send me a message if you have a project you could use help with: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the technologies and tools I typically work with:
- Style Dictionary
- Adobe Creative Suite
And just in general I’ve been working on the web for a long time now and have experience with all the usual things web designers do. You can read more about all of this on the Work Process page.
Designer, hath thee any philosophy? Not much, just that everything derives from that venerable master unit of design, typography.
A short history of my engagement with web technologies, startups, and freelancing life.
- 1997/98 — Made my first website on AngelFire. Just couldn’t get over the fact that I could generate a website just by writing text.
- 2001 — Was hired to help out with the website for a local leather and tack shop which did signifcant domestic and international online business thanks to the owner’s prescience regarding ecommerce. Worked that MS Frontpage.
- 2004 — Decided to switch my personal website from Blogger to my own setup. Had planned out an intricate system of organizing static HTML files when finally I thought perhaps there was a better way and discovered the nascent blogging platform, WordPress.
- 2008 — Created a WordPress premium theme business called Artisan Themes.
- 2009 — Started my first company under which I was to start freelancing full-time, Design Intellection.
- 2011 — Co-founded a company called Potluck with a friend.
- 2012 — A friend and I published a geography-based trivia game for the iPhone called Borderlines.
- 2012 — Moved to California to work at a startup.
- 2013 — Wrote my own iOS app and published it on the App Store (weather app).
- 2013 — Moved back to Kentucky.
- 2015 — Started freelancing full-time again.